Friday, September 7, 2012

Slingshots in ancient times?


As some of you may know I specialize in slingshots, and rubber based weapons. Now vulcanized rubber wasn't invented before the mid 1800's.

What did the Dennis the Menace kind of boys used before Mr. Goodyear's useful invention?

Well, we know about the "David Sling", and the related throwing sticks. But these weapons require lots of practice. No problem for sheppards, but what did the offspring of an urban Roman/medieval family use when he was up for shenanigans?

Torsion based weapons, using twisted rope, were clearly well known back then.



So it is likely that toy sized versions were made, too.

I want to find out if a handheld slingshot, based on twisted rope rather than rubber bands, is feasible. Of course it needs to fire rocks and lead/steel balls, and of course it has to be somewhat accurate.

I bought some 4mm hemp rope and tested the concept - it works! I chose an inswinger design for power and a larger swing angle. The hemp rops is very unelastic, and the swing has to be limited to about 90 degrees. If I go above, the draw gets too strong at the end of the motion. Keep in mind no trigger and no stock. Just a very wide fork with the rope casings at the end.



Should be interesting!

10 comments:

  1. No Thera-Bands? Joerg, how could you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i lived back then, i would've tried animal tendons for this concept

    ReplyDelete
  3. Animal tendons when dried out would have been what is called sinew. They are very steong when used with hide glue as a backing for primitive self bows. I would be afraid though that since they beckme brittle when dried alone that they would not have worked unless twisted into a 2-3 ply twine and then made into a rope bundle. They just have no elasticity once they are not a "living" tendon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess sinew and hemp ropes have both been used for such weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart invention Joerg. Really creative, hopefully you could improve it even more so it will be stronger and better.

    Btw, if anyones interested in Slings, I have a blog about it.

    Greetings from Slinging.org!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ballistas of the times used twisted ropes to propell bolts...
    i made a mini ballista a year or so ago just to see if this concept would work scaled down... it wasnt a handheld one, i designed it to sit on a desk and shoot cocktail sticks... it was about the size of the palm of my hand... it would launch a cocktail stick across the room with quite some force... scale that up slightly, add a handle and i see this being a very pheasable project
    TD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I am working on a movie about the 1821 Greek independence. What type of slingshot would have been around at that time and place? If you know that would be a big help. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe they used hair. Probably ox or horse hair taken from the longest part growing such as the tail or mane. As a kid when I heard this, I went and harvested two or three hairs from my horses mane and twisted them around two small pegs about an inch apart and,I guess I glued them because they didn't unwrap. Then I put a toothpick between the two columns of hair and wrapped the pick around many times until it got tight. (the idea was to see how strong it was until it broke) but it just kept getting more and more tension until I heard the "throwing arm" of my little contraption begin to Crack. At that point I had achieved enough to know that it wasn't the hair that would be the weak link so I stopped twisting. I never went on and broke it, but I kept it for years and marveled at how strong hair is. Somehow It would resurface again over some years of time. Point is: it stayed as taut as I remembered it being when I made it, and always felt to powerful for its size. So my vote is use hair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, lol I didn't see the date on the previous post! Oh well the info still Wyandotte and you probably tried hair. So how did it perform?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe they used hair. Probably ox or horse hair taken from the longest part growing such as the tail or mane. As a kid when I heard this, I went and harvested two or three hairs from my horses mane and twisted them around two small pegs about an inch apart and,I guess I glued them because they didn't unwrap. Then I put a toothpick between the two columns of hair and wrapped the pick around many times until it got tight. (the idea was to see how strong it was until it broke) but it just kept getting more and more tension until I heard the "throwing arm" of my little contraption begin to Crack. At that point I had achieved enough to know that it wasn't the hair that would be the weak link so I stopped twisting. I never went on and broke it, but I kept it for years and marveled at how strong hair is. Somehow It would resurface again over some years of time. Point is: it stayed as taut as I remembered it being when I made it, and always felt to powerful for its size. So my vote is use hair!

    ReplyDelete