Thursday, August 2, 2012

Texan Persimmon Natural

Some days ago, John from Texas (close to Austin) sent me four great, fat forks from Persimmon. The tree was felled by a storm, and supplied plenty of very nice wood.

Persimmon is an interesting wood, it is a kind a ebony. Subtly brown, great grain, and very dense.

As always I will send John one completed slingshot back in return, and have made the first one the last few days.

A Hammer-Howitzer, what else, it is the best design I found (so far). A great cooperation between me and Tobias brought out this shape, which I think is hard to beat.

The wood was fresh and is known to crack easily, it took many careful microwave sessions to dry it.

It may seem a waste to start from such a thick fork, but the HammerHowitzer shape requires a very thick and wide piece. The raw "board" has to be thicker than 2 full inches, otherwise the handle won't reach this sweet depth which makes the frame so controllable.

Sanded, wetted, resanded, oiled (linseed), and polished.






11 comments:

  1. That looks awesome. I love the design you came up with I'd like to get one like that. The grain is beautiful on that too

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous! I cannot believe the branch from my tree turned in to that. As always I am impressed and cannot wait to see one in person. This has me quite excited to carve on the rest of that branch. My neighbors also have a few of these trees so my eyes are very much on them in the event of another storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the find it's ganna be a great slingshot

      Delete
    2. Well done Joerg! Drying it carefully made a big difference.

      Delete
  3. Very good work, it will be nice if you make a pdf sownload of the shape! Do you consider this is your best conventional slingshot design?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made a texas slingshot this week too for my son. It is texas wood laminated in Micarta. I was inspired by you. Did you give out our last panther or cougar slingshot yet? Just curious, cause I made one for my son, but haven't made one of my one yet....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "Zodiac sign" contest will run nine more months, with monthly prizes. Check my forum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear jorg may you reply??
    I have Lebanese cedar wood if you are interested , one of the oldest trees the city i live in, i can send 2 forks to you for a slingshot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how do u do it Jorg! it looks just amazing, i found some beutiful australian iron bark and have tried making slingshots from it, but it is such hard wood, i wondered if i could sent some to you (with permission from my parents of course, as i am only 13!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jorg, My Son, Josiah 7 and I (Alan) love watching your show. He is always trying to get me to make a sling shot with him. So the other day we went through the woods behind our house and found some cider wood. Could you give or refer us to some advise on how we should process it. Is it even good wood to work with?
    thank you

    ReplyDelete