Sunday, May 6, 2012

The birthing of new lead balls

Needed a refill on my lead ball ammo. 

Rainy day today, so I decided to give it a go.

Made five batches using three different moulds

14mm (Hogancastings mould)
16mm (Bells of Hythe mould)
22mm (cheapo lead sinker mould from ebay uk)

 Both professional moulds performed really well, with the Hogancastings teflon plated version creating zero (none at all) cripples, and the Bells of Hythe one creating just three bad balls.

The cheap one needs more attention, it gets very hot soon and you have to use clamps. The stems are thick and I flattened the stumps with the hammer. But I got 30 very nice 22mm lead balls in the end.



2 comments:

  1. With the cheap ones(which I have in 12mm) I've often wondered how well epoxy glued wood would work as a means of clamping handle..I'll give it a go and let you know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have u still the big one in stock

    ReplyDelete